Why such intention?
CALL OF GOD
- In 1712 Saint Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort writes: “God in these times wishes his Blessed Mother to be more known, loved and honoured than She has ever been ”
REPEATED REQUEST OF GOD
- The expression used by Saint Louis was almost literally repeated to Sister Lucy by Mary in Fatima in the year 1917: “Jesus wishes to make use of you to make me known and loved “
THE WILL OF GOD
- The special meaning that emerges from the words of Saint Louis, Fatima Apparitions and the desires of God’s Heart are a guidepost for us. The will of God is for the Mother of the Son to be more known and loved.
„God in these times wishes his Blessed Mother to be more known, loved and honoured than she has ever been ” These words of Saint Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort outline the central theme of theTreatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin.
- And what do we find in the content of the Message of Fatima? In Lucia’s account of the appearance of Our Lady on June 13, 1917, we read:
„I would like to ask you to take us to heaven.
– Yes, I shall take Jacinta and Francisco soon, but you will remain here for some time yet Jesus wishes to use you in order to make me known and loved. . He wishes to establish devotion to my Immaculate Heart in the world. I promise salvation to those who embrace it; and these souls will be beloved of God like flowers arranged by me to adorn His throne”. – Memories of S. Lucy from Fatima.
- Identical is the purpose of the Treaty written by Saint Louis and the message we received through the Three Fatima Shepherds. It is God’s will that Mary be more known and loved. The expression used by Saint Louis, almost literally, was repeated by Mary in Fatima. With the difference that Saint Louis writes about the fact that Mary should be more venerated than ever before and describes in the Treatise the general form of devotion. Whilst in Fatima a devotion is also established, with the exception that God wants to establish the specific devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, at the same time giving its very precise structure.
– „You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.”. – – Fatima – July 13, 1917
„On the occasion of the religious ceremonies which are taking place at this time in honor of the Virgin Mother of God in Fatima, Portugal, where she is venerated by countless numbers of the faithful for her motherly and compassionate Heart, we wish to call the attention of all sons of the Church once more to the indissoluble link between the spiritual motherhood of Mary, so amply illustrated in the (council’s) Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium and the duties of redeemed men toward her, the Mother of the Church. . Before such splendor of virtue, the first duty of all those who recognize in the Mother of Christ the model of the Church, is to unite themselves to her in giving thanks to the Most High for working great things in Mary for the benefit of all mankind. But this is not enough. It is also the duty of all the faithful to pay as tribute to the most faithful handmaid of the Lord, a veneration of praise, of gratitude and of love because, by a wise and mild divine provision, her free consent and her generous cooperation in the designs of God had, and still have, a great influence in the attainment of human salvation(33). Therefore every Christian must make St. Anselm’s prayer his own: “Oh, glorious Lady, grant that through you we may deserve to ascend to Jesus, your Son, who through you deigned to descend among us”. – Paul VI, Signum Magnum, p. 7.
- The unusual expression that emerges from: the words of Saint Louis; the Church’s guidelines; and the desires of God’s Heart are all guideposts for us. God’s will is for the Mother of His Son to be more known and loved. Is love for God not expressed in keeping His commandments? Thereby is it not beautiful and necessary to express love for the Mother by fulfilling her requests?